Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Easy Halloween costumes part 1

Yesterday I sat down with a pad of paper and a pencil and came up with some ideas for for exceptionally easy to make and low cost costumes Now I'm usually the type that likes extravagant, detailed Halloween costumes, that take hours upon hours of labor. Unfortunately at the moment I neither have the funds or quite the skill of my Mother (she has made all of my extravagant costumes ) to have such a luxury. So I've come up with a few ideas . I wish I had some pictures of these but for now a description will have to do. I've devised a little ranking system to help you out. By every costume description I will give it a number between one and five, one is super simple and five takes a little bit more effort. I'll post more ideas this Saturday.

M&M: 3
-So you'll need a candy colored shirt, sweatshirt, jacket.
-A piece of white felt or fabric, a sewing needle and white thread, or sewing machine of course.
-Scissors, pins the usual sewing things.
--Optional: candy colored face paint and hat.

Who doesn't love this candy! This is both great for kids and adults. If you have a candy colored shirt, hoodie or coat you don't mind sewing an M onto this will be a cinch. If you do not already have a plain shirt/sweatshirt you can find plain tees and such at just about any craft store for pretty cheap. Of course M&M colors are Red, Blue, Green, Brown, Yellow, and Orange. Find a template or stencil for an M&M looking M, or just look at the candies and freehand it onto a white piece of paper, cut it out. pin it onto the white fabric or felt and cut out your M to be stitched on your shirt. Then sew the M onto your shirt, by hand or on a machine. To finish the look you could paint your face, and wear a baseball cap the same color as your shirt, if you wish.

Presidential Candidate: 1
- Suit, dress shirt, tie, or a power suit ladies! Dress shoes.
-A Presidential smile!
--Optional: flag lapel pin

This is a good one since the election is just a couple of days after Halloween. I think this would be an adorable kids costume as well as a humorous adult costume.


Pillar of Salt: 1
-White sheet
-scissors

Okay, this one might sound a little weird but I once got an award for this one when I was a kid at a church Halloween party for stumping the minister. Can you guess what famous pillar of salt I might have been ? Lot's wife in the bible is turned to a pillar of salt upon looking back at the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah being destroyed by God (Genesis). If you do happen to have a church going's on for Halloween this will be great. You can cut a hole, or a slit for the eyes so you can see, if this is going to be worn all night.

No comments: