Friday, November 7, 2008

Red Velvet cake


When I made this cake it might have been the most amazing cake I have ever made. I had never attempted to make a cake and frosting entirely from scratch but was getting so tired of making boxed cakes and having them taste icky, plus you can't find frosting these days that doesn't have all sorts of creepy chemicals and trans fat in it. Besides homemade ALWAYS tastes sooo much better! So here is the recipe for red velvet cake, and chocolate butter-cream frosting!


For the cake you need:
-2 eggs
-1 1/2 cups of sugar
-1 cup butter
-1 tsp. vanilla
-2 oz (or one bottle) red food coloring
-2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
-2 1/2 cups cake flour
-1 cup buttermilk
-1 tsp. vinegar
-1 tsp. baking soda

For the chocolate butter-cream frosting you need:
-1 stick butter, softened
-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
-Three tablespoons milk
-1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder

For the cake-
Cream the butter and sugar together, and then add the eggs one at a time, beating after each egg. Add the vanilla and red food coloring. Mix in flour, cocoa, and buttermilk, alternating cocoa/flour, and buttermilk when mixing. Mix the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl and add to cake mixture. Bake in three 8 or 9 inch round layer pans at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, OR I baked them in two round layer pans, a seven inch and a five inch. Let cool and then frost. I didn't layer my cake, I made two separate cakes, one for my boyfriend and one for My Mom and brother, but you certainly can layer them if you wish.

For the frosting-
Beat butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy... I usually do it by hand but I enjoy torture I suppose. Beat in sifted powdered sugar -(yes you will need a mesh strainer to sift with)- and milk, in two batches. Then slowly add the cocoa powder to the mixture, I say slowly because cocoa powder has a tendency to billow into the air in great clouds of chocolate...sounds yummy...actually very messy. After all the ingredients are well mixed and there are no lumps you are ready to frost your cake.

No comments: