Sunday, May 3, 2009

Teeny Tiny Terrarium




I have long been fascinated with terrariums, and as I've mentioned before, tiny things. Leading me to create this little gem. Technically it's not a "real" terrarium since the Peat Moss inside won't grow, but when I was finished with it it looked so much like a little terrarium to me! My crafty mission since Earth Day was to use only recycled bits and pieces for my craft projects, so everything in this project, except for the tiny doe is being upcycled! This project is not only cute and eco-friendly, but it is exceedingly simple too!

You'll need:
  • A bottle cap
  • The top from a gum-ball machine plastic prize ball
  • Peat Moss
  • Craft Glue
  • A small animal or trinket, I chose to use a HO Scale (Train Scale) deer.

1. Glue a very small amount of Peat Moss into the bottle cap. As seen below. Let that dry for a little while so it doesn't move around while you are gluing down your little deer.

2. Using your craft glue again put a good sized drop of glue on the moss (below) to glue your teeny deer down. Position your deer in the glue. Let dry for about an hour.

3. Put a bead of glue all around the bottom edge of the the top of plastic gum-ball machine capsule and a glue around the ridge of the bottle cap. Press the capsule onto the cap, make sure you use enough glue to hold the two together. Let it all dry overnight before placing into a plant or some other perfect place for displaying tiny things. OR! If you have a larger terrarium why not have a terrarium inside a terrarium ?

No comments: